October 22, 2014
This Halloween, my mother, sister, & I are going dressed as our most favorite Halloween characters: the Sanderson sisters. I've been practicing my best Winnie Sanderson impressions & creating lookalike makeup whenever I can. As thrilled as I was with my decision, it came with a little black cloud when I searched high & low for a costume & I realized I had to try another avenue.
When it came time to locate my costume & commercial stores failed me, I knew I needed something handmade & turned to Etsy. I discovered Sandra Cimmino's shop & instantly knew she would be the perfect artist for the bill. Her costume designs were intricate, detailed, & she brought classic characters to life with such creativity.
Sandra was incredible to work with. Once she received my measurements, she went to work immediately, sending me progress images along the way to ensure I was pleased with her direction. My custom costume was mailed right to my front door, packaged ever so carefully so as not to wrinkle or damage.
Can we all just take a moment to admire how totally & completely I'm going to rock Halloween this year once I add in hair & makeup?! Just look at this amazing artistry & detail work.
My costume is listed & can be made to fit any size. Order your Winnie Sanderson costume here.
Consider buying handmade this Halloween & for any future costume or clothing needs. You're supporting a family rather than a CEO lining his pockets. Sandra's work is incomparable & such a treasure. Be sure to stop by her Etsy store to show her some support & love from the OHD community.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- two small (20"-24") inflatable tube pool toys
- tan/donut colored acrylic paint
- pink acrylic paint
- pipe cleaners
- brown or pink ribbon
- brown or pink pjs
- craft glue
- While deflated, paint both tubes with the tan, donut colored paint. You may need two coats for complete coverage.
- Once dry, add a layer of pink frosting paint. The key to this step is imperfection to make it look like real frosting. Again, you may need two coats.
- While the frosting layer is drying, trim down pipe cleaners to small 2-3 inch pieces.
- Once dry, use super glue or craft glue to glue down your pipe cleaner sprinkles randomly over the pink frosting.
- Once your sprinkles are secure & the glue is dry, use additional glue to secure ribbons to each donut so that it can slip over the shoulders on either side.
- Dress your little one in pink or brown pajamas, add your donuts, & take in your adorable little baked good, er...child! Ha!
This costume could easily be created for an adult, just use bigger floatie tubes. It would make a hilarious addition to a police officer & donut couples costume.
For more Halloween inspiration including recipes, crafts, DIYs, & more costume ideas, be sure to follow Our Holly Days on Pinterest.Follow Our Holly Days's board Halloween on Pinterest.
October 21, 2014
Welcome to the first week of our new Dream Create Inspire Party! I am so excited to kick off this new link party with Sarah, Alyson, and Tabitha. These gals are some of my most favorite bloggers; so it's such an honor to collaborate with them on this exciting new project! Each week, you will come and share your favorite creative blog posts that you created over the week. Posts that you dreamt, created, & now inspire fellow creative minds with! You may leave links for up to four posts each week. To make this even more fun & to help us all gain a bit of extra traffic, we do ask that you leave comments on one or two (or several!) posts from other blogs linking up. We will be featuring some of our favorites from all of your posts next week. This is a great way to gain some exposure from four fabulous blogs that will feature your content! I am looking forward to checking out all of your sure to inspire posts! Now, let's meet your party hosts:
Dream Create Inspire Party Guidelines
- Link up any creative post from your blog. It can be diy, crafts, printables, tutorials, recipes, etc.
- Leave a link to the specific post, and not just your blog.
- You may link up to four posts each week.
- Do not link up shops and other link ups or your entry will be deleted.
- Add the button to your blog, or a text link directing back to the party.
- Make sure to visit and comment on some of the other links.
When I was a kid, a lot of thought went into what type/size/shape of bag I would use to gather my loot from the neighborhood. In the end, it always boiled down to a good ol' fashioned pillowcase. It's large, which meant I could acquire tons of candy, & it was also the perfect size to easily toss over my shoulder once it started to weigh down on my arms. My pillowcase was usually the one right off my bed, which did not please my mother when she discovered my inevitable tattered pillowcase later on Halloween eve. This Halloween, I am paying homage to the trusty pillowcase with a fun craft on a repurposed/thrifted pillowcase that my Mom would have most definitely preferred to my stolen one. Head over to So Fawned now for all the details & step by step instructions on how to make your own replica of this fun pillowcase trick or treat bag!
You can find additional articles I have written for So Fawned via my authorship link.
Are you guys sensing a theme with most of my Halloween foodie posts by now? Candy corn. It's my long lost love, what can I say? Today, I'm bringing you a bit of a healthier version featuring fruit rather than candy or baked goods. A little clever arranging & this fruit is transformed into a healthy treat for everyone to enjoy.
- one can of mandarin oranges, drained
- one can of pineapple tidbits, drained
- whipped topping
- clear cups or glasses
- In your cup, fill roughly halfway with pineapple tidbits.
- Add in oranges on top for the next layer & fill to just under the top of the cup.
- Add whipped topping for the final layer.
- You can garnish with real candy corn or a little ghost figure like the one pictured, but this is totally optional.
For additional recipes like this, be sure to head over & like The Victorville Daily Press on Facebook. I'll be sharing recipes with them twice weekly with a focus on fun holiday foods that your whole family will love.